One Year Vacation
Who needs one? I do! Click if you do too!

Profile
Henry Kong needs a one year vacation... to pursue his childhood dreams of being a superhero, to create art that is awesome, to do photography where anything goes, and finally to get around making his long overdue comic book.

Connections
Past stuff



Tweets

Review: PS Vita Slim

We all have that time in our lives where we are stuck somewhere and are forced to wait on someone or something.  Whether it be in the subway, a daily commute, the airport or a family gathering where you just want to be anti-social, waiting without a distraction can be a pain.  I've written many times before that the most precious thing to me is time.  I hate wasting time and I hate so much situations in where I am not able to squeeze each and every minute doing something I don't like.

This is different from the infamous "FOMO" or "fear of missing out" syndrome that afflicts a lot of today's Facebook culture.  I don't care much for going out if it's with people I can't stand and would rather curl up alone with a video game or a movie on my laptop.  I need much of this alone time to rest and recharge.  And before this post becomes too philosophical, let's get to the review!

DSC01294

DSC01295

There's a lot of ways to pass time on those moments where you don't have a choice but to wait that situation out.  My default choice so far is my smartphone and watching podcasts.  Other people have tablets which they mostly get for games and occasionally surfing the net.  I can surf the net on my phone just fine and I don't see a tablet as doing any better for games vs. my phone.  So I talked myself into getting a Vita.  Yolo right?

DSC01296

I've decided that I won't be getting a PS4 and I'll stick with PS3 and playing old games (which should be cheaper) and also go with a powerful gaming ready laptop for playing multiplayer with my friends.  The Vita is that system for in-between.  When I'm stuck in a plane or waiting in the airport or stuck in some place I can't get out of, the Vita would be my new go-to system to help in wasting that time at least on something I think is fun.

DSC01298

Also, the thing was on sale here in the US which was a significantly good package and better than any deal you could get in Manila.  I also (like everyone) looking forward to Minecraft which would be available on the Vita.  What an awesome mobile game that would be.

DSC01297

I got the 2nd generation Vita which they were calling the slim version.  This was slimmer, lighter, and had a generic micro-USB charger vs. the older proprietary port.  The screen was awesome and despite people saying that this was worse than the OLED version before, I honestly didn't mind it much.  It also came with onboard memory which the older version did not.  The only bummer here is that you can't use the onboard memory if you were using an external memory card.  Also the external memory card is proprietary. WTF Sony?

DSC01299

I have not been using it as much since I had lots of stuff to do here in the US and not much "waiting" time where I want to get out of.  The most I used it was while my laptop was busy rendering my Bike Ride video so I needed to let it do it's thing and get the Vita.  I foresee this will be used soon when I fly home for the holidays and spend 24 hours travelling on the airport.  Aside from the weird interface (they should have stuck with Sony's XMB GUI) I was pretty impressed by how snappy and capable it was.  Overall a good machine for gaming!

0 comments: